Saint Lucia has appointed its first-ever Coroner following the establishment of a dedicated Coroners Court within the jurisdiction of the Magistrates’ Courts, in what the Government describes as a major step towards strengthening and modernizing the country’s justice system.
Press Secretary Melissa Paul announced during the May 18, 2026 pre-Cabinet press briefing that the Judicial and Legal Services Commission had appointed Ms. Desma Charles to the newly created position.
“For the first time in Saint Lucia, the Judicial and Legal Services Commission has appointed a Coroner,” Paul stated. “Ms. Desma Charles is Saint Lucia’s first appointee to the newly created post.”
According to Paul, the appointment follows the formal establishment of a separate Coroners Court aimed at improving the investigation of unnatural but non-criminal deaths.
“This appointment comes following the establishment of a separate Coroners Court within the jurisdiction of the Magistrates’ Courts,” she explained.
Paul said the creation of the court responds to the increasing need for a specialized judicial mechanism to handle sensitive cases involving unexplained or unnatural deaths.
“The establishment of a Coroners Court comes in response to the growing need for a comprehensive judicial mechanism to examine deaths occurring in unnatural but non-criminal circumstances,” she noted, including “deaths in custody, fatal accidents, suspected suicides and other matters affecting public safety.”
She added that the new court is expected to provide important answers and transparency for grieving families and the wider public.
“Importantly, the Coroners Court will assist families, the public and other agencies in obtaining answers concerning unnatural deaths while also helping State authorities identify and resolve systemic risks and public safety concerns,” Paul said.
Previously, coronial duties were handled by Magistrates alongside their existing responsibilities.
“Previously, the duties of the Coroner under the Coroners Act were shared between Magistrates, as there was no dedicated Coroner’s office,” she explained.
Paul revealed that the establishment of the Coroners Court and the position of Coroner were approved by Cabinet in January 2025.
“The appointment of a Coroner was made possible after approval was given in January 2025 by the Prime Minister and his Cabinet for the establishment of a Coroners Court and the creation of the post of Coroner,” she stated.
Prime Minister Philip J. Pierre, who also serves as Minister for Justice, had previously referenced the initiative during his 2026/2027 Budget Address.
“In addition, we are investing in the establishment of a Coroner’s Court, strengthening our ability to conduct timely and thorough investigations, and enhancing public confidence in the administration of justice,” the Prime Minister stated.
Paul further disclosed that additional appointments will be made to support the operations of the court.
“Additional appointments will be made to support the operations of the Court, including administrative personnel and a specially appointed investigator tasked with conducting inquiries into unnatural deaths,” she said.
Describing the move as a landmark development for the country’s legal system, Paul stated that the court positions Saint Lucia as a leader in judicial reform within the region.
“The establishment of this Court represents a major advancement in Saint Lucia’s justice system and positions the country as a regional leader in judicial modernization and institutional accountability,” she declared.
The Government says the initiative reflects its broader commitment to strengthening public confidence in the administration of justice and improving institutional accountability.
Further information regarding the commencement of the Coroners Court sittings and its operational procedures is expected to be announced in the coming months.