Law enforcement authorities have launched a homicide investigation following the fatal shooting of 56-year-old John Ferdinand of Ravine Chabot on Sunday, August 16.
Ferdinand was found dead following a reported gunshot incident in the Entrepot community late Sunday night, as residents mourned a man they described as kind, hardworking and willing to assist others.
According to Saint Lucia Fire Service Press Officer Sherise John, emergency personnel responded to the incident at approximately 11.09 pm.
“Upon arrival at the scene, an adult male was found in a prone position on the ground,” John said.
She said an assessment of the man found that he was unresponsive and had no vital signs.
“Multiple penetrating wounds were observed about the body with obvious signs of death,” she said.
The scene was subsequently handed over to officers of the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force.
A resident, Yannick, described Ferdinand as a “nice guy” and recalled interacting with him earlier that day.
“He was a nice guy, because yesterday when I do one, two things for him, right?” Yannick said.
He recalled that Ferdinand had left the area and appeared to be returning later that night.
“I come back and then, when I come back, last night I don’t know if he’s in town, he going to get something to eat,” he said.
Yannick said he later discovered that Ferdinand had been shot.
“And then when he come back, I already get shot under the house,” he said.
The resident also expressed concern about violence in the area, suggesting that the latest incident was not an isolated occurrence.
“It’s not the second time it happened,” he said.
The fatal shooting has left residents grieving as police continue their investigation into the circumstances surrounding Ferdinand’s death.
The incident adds to concerns about gun violence and violent crime in communities across Saint Lucia, with investigators expected to determine the circumstances leading to the shooting and identify those responsible.